Afghanistan condemn US-led operation killing 17 civilians
The U.S. military claimed only fighters were killed in the incident.
The latest reported civilian casualties occurred in an area of eastern Laghman province on Tuesday, the palace said in a statement.
“Based on the reports, during a coalition operation, 17 civilians including women and children were killed among militants in Laghman province,” it said.
The U.S. military claimed 32 fighters, including a woman, were killed during the operation which it said was aimed at the Taliban’s roadside bomb network in Laghman.
“If any civilians were involved in this operation, our sincere condolences to them and their family,” U.S. forces spokesman Colonel Jerry O’Hara said.
Karzai, who has been leading Afghanistan since U.S.-led troops overthrew Taliban’s government in 2001, has repeatedly warned foreign forces to prevent civilian casualties.
U.S.-led operations and Afghan forces killed nearly 700 civilians were killed until October last year, an Afghan rights body said last month, quoting a U.N. estimate.
Filed under: Afghanistan |